E kipa mai!
Reserving a visit to Bishop Museum is a fun and safe way to bring larger groups together to experience Bishop Museum. With discounted rates on admission, groups of 10+ can enjoy the Museum’s park-like campus, world-class exhibits, and engaging public programs in an affordable and health-conscious way. Hawaiʻi K-12 teachers should check out our field trips page for information about experiences for their classes.
Requests for self-guided exploration should be submitted 3 days in advance. Reservation requests that include additional experiences, like private tours or programs, should be submitted 14 days in advance.
Group reservations include the following benefits:
Kamaʻāina / Military*
- * A Hawaiʻi state ID, Hawaiʻi driver’s license, Hawaiʻi college or university ID, or an active military ID are required as proof of residency or military status.
- **Children under 4 are not considered when calculating group size.
To ensure an organized experience for all groups on the day of your visit:
- we will arrange specific arrival and departure times for your group.
- An in-person greeting with Museum staff.
- Upon arrival, a member of our staff will meet your group at our groups entrance and orient you to our campus.
Admission for group reservations includes access to the Hawaiian Hall Complex, Science Adventure Center, and in-house exhibits in Castle Memorial Building for your group to explore at their own pace. Please see here for more information about Bishop Museum’s signature galleries.
We will provide you with a detailed schedule and map for all of your group’s activities.
E ulu ka hoihoi!
Why not add to the fun? Visiting groups are encouraged to take the opportunity to engage in the Museum’s additional experiences:
- Learn about the culture and history of Hawaiʻi and the Pacific on this private guided tour of the Hawaiian Hall Complex with a Museum docent.
- As a health and safety measure, private tours may consist of a maximum of ten (10) individuals (nine guests + one docent) at any time. Larger groups will have to divide into separate tours.
|Private Hawaiian Hall Tour Pricing|
|30-minute Program||$7.00 per person (ages 4+)|
|60-minute Program||$14.00 per person (ages 4+)|
Ready to submit a request? Complete the form below and our reservationist will respond via email to arrange the details of your visit.
A non-refundable 50% security deposit will be required upon confirmation with the reservationist. The remaining balance will be due on the day of the visit. If you are having trouble with the form or have additional questions, see the “He Nīnau” section below.
Questions? Browse the answers to some of our most frequently-asked questions.
- A notice must be provided and confirmed with a reservations, via email or phone call, no later than 3 days prior to the agreed upon arrival date.
- If cancellation is made less than 2 days prior to the arrival date, the 50% deposit fee will not be refunded.
- In the event of a no call/no show or if cancellation is made on the date of arrival, 100% of visit cost will be charged.
- The Museum has implemented several policies in accordance with local and state recommendations to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Please see our health and safety page for more details about these measures.
- All visitors are also required to follow the local guidelines regarding face coverings, and must verify a normal body temperature when they arrive on campus.
- Groups will be asked to split up into sub-groups of 10 or fewer individuals while they are on campus.
- At this time, planetarium programs, science demonstrations, and public Hawaiian Hall tours are unavailable until further notice.
“Group reservations” are appropriate for any groups not affiliated with a Hawaiʻi pre-K-12 school. “Group reservations” may include mixed groups of adults and/or youth, any college students, and K-12 school groups from outside of Hawaiʻi. Hawaiʻi pre K-12 teachers should check out our field trips page instead.
- Typically, a group visit begins with a Museum staff member greeting your group at the designated entrance. The staff member will then finish up any outstanding payments, provide a detailed itinerary to the group leader, and give out admission stickers and brochures to individuals in the group.
- After that, groups with only self-guided time will receive an orientation of the Bishop Museum campus, and are free to explore the campus as they please for the duration of the visit. Those who would like to join public programs may do so within the limits expressed above.
- Groups that reserved additional experiences in advance will be escorted to the location of their first itinerary item, and will be shown how to get to the other items on their itinerary on their own.
- Groups typically depart campus on their own by their scheduled departure time.
Groups of 10 or more paying individuals qualify for group rates. Those guests for whom admission is free (children under the age of 4, care-givers for disabled persons, etc.) do not count towards the number of paying individuals in a group. Example: 9 adults and 1 infant counts as 9 paying individuals and would not qualify for group rates unless another paying individual joins the group.
Making a reservation in advance is recommended. Advance reservations help Museum staff coordinate an organized environment when multiple groups are visiting at the same time, and allows us to provide a more personalized experience for group reservations. Group rates for admission are available for walk-in groups who meet the minimum size requirement, but additional experiences like pre-reserved planetarium programs or private tours must be reserved in advance.
Please fill out the request form above with as much detail as possible and submit it as far in advance of your preferred dates as possible. Once you have submitted a request, our reservationist will contact you via email to work out details and confirm your reservation.
- For groups requesting a basic visit with self-guided exploration in signature galleries and public programs, please submit a request at least 3 days in advance.
- For groups interested in additional experiences like private tours or planetarium programs, please submit a request at least 14 days in advance. Any major changes to your request require the same advance notice.
- The Museum accepts cash, checks, or cards as forms of payment.
- A non-refundable security deposit equal to 50% of the total price of your reservation is required to confirm your reservation with the reservationist. Once the details of your visit have been finalized, our reservationist will arrange the payment of the security deposit with you in order to confirm your reservation.
- The remainder of your group’s balance is due at or before the time of your arrival to the Museum. We are unable to split the payment into multiple transactions, so a single transaction is required.
- Yes! The park-like Bishop Museum campus includes many indoor and outdoor areas where your group can sit down to eat.
- Highway Inn operates the Museum’s café. More information is available here.
- Your group may also bring in outside food, however, alcoholic drinks, coolers, and chairs are prohibited.
Be a Part of Our Story
Celebrate the extraordinary history, culture, and environment of Hawaiʻi and the Pacific with a gift to Bishop Museum. As a partner in the Museum’s work, you can help to sustain vital collections, research, and knowledge, and inspire exploration and discovery with a tax-deductible donation.