Volunteering at the Museum
Volunteers are a vital part of accomplishing our mission at the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum. To register as a volunteer, you will need to submit a completed Volunteer Application, Waiver and Background Check Form. Background checks are an important step in ensuring the safety of our visitors, staff, volunteers and collections.
- For general volunteer requests, we will only accept applications for the open positions listed below.
- For internship requests, we will process these on a case-by-case basis based on available internship positions. Because these positions fill up quickly, we recommend submitting your request 2-4 months in advance of the semester during which you would like to intern.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer Responsibilities: Mounting of Botany collections specimens. No previous experience necessary.
Qualifications/ Skills Needed: Must be 18 years of age or older. Excellent fine motor skills to handle delicate specimens.
Training/Orientation Provided: Department staff will directly supervise training on all necessary tasks. Volunteers will be trained in how to mount Botany specimens to paper. Training period varies, but averages 20 hours (or 6 service days of 3 hours each day). If you are volunteering for college credit or similar program, please know the training period is included in the count of your service hours – simply include that information on your application.
Days/Times Volunteers Needed:
• Minimum length of service: 6 months
• Hours and Frequency: 3 hour shift at least once per week
• Days/Times Needed: Monday or Tuesday, Mornings, 9-12noon. Once training completed, hours may be more flexible.
Department: Institutional Advancement (IA)
- Create social media content for museum’s social channels in collaboration with the Director of Communications and Digital Developer
- Write and schedule social posts for review for any internal museum events, exhibits, and promotions during the semester
- Take pictures and videos as needed for museum’s social media channels or website
- Create graphics to use on social media
- Assist in developing and implementing social media contests related to promotional campaigns.
- Review and maintain web and social media content to ensure a positive online user experience.
- Maintain list of social influencers and research trending topics, especially as they relate to current museum promotions and exhibits
- Support the Marketing and Communications team in on-site events, including Social Influencer Exhibit Previews.
Qualifications/ Skills Needed:
- Must be 18+ years or age or older
- Have experience with photography and videography (preferred).
- Have experience working in Photoshop or other Adobe Design software (preferred).
- Possess outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess strong organizational skills.
- Have the ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Have the ability to successfully manage multiple projects at one time.
- Have the ability to work collaboratively in a diverse work environment.
- Must be able to impart diplomacy in all situations.
Training/Orientation Provided: The Director of Communications and Digital Developer will provide training in the proper use of Bishop Museum social media channels, and supervise their progress over time. Training periods vary, but average 20 hours (or 5 service days of 4 hours each day). If interns are volunteering their time for college credit or a similar program, this training period is included in the count of overall service hours.
Days/Times Volunteers Needed: Interns may work 9 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday. Special Events on weekends and weeknights if available.
If you are volunteering for college credit or similar programs, time commitment will be based on the number of hours required to complete your program.
To Apply: Email your resume to Media@BishopMuseum.org
Service Groups & One-time Volunteer Opportunities
To inquire about opportunities for service groups (example – Key Club), please contact the Volunteer Department via email or call us at (808) 848-4171. Please also check our upcoming Special Events and Exhibits at the museum for opportunities you may be interested in volunteering for.