Volunteering at the Museum
Volunteers are a vital part of accomplishing our mission at the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum. To register as a volunteer, you will need to submit a completed Volunteer Application, Waiver and Background Check Form. Background checks are an important step in ensuring the safety of our visitors, staff, volunteers and collections.
- For general volunteer requests, we will only accept applications for the open positions listed below.
- For internship requests, we will process these on a case-by-case basis based on available internship positions. Because these positions fill up quickly, we recommend submitting your request 2-4 months in advance of the semester during which you would like to intern.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer Responsibilities: Mounting of Botany collections specimens. No previous experience necessary.
Qualifications/ Skills Needed: Must be 18 years of age or older. Excellent fine motor skills to handle delicate specimens.
Training/Orientation Provided: Department staff will directly supervise training on all necessary tasks. Volunteers will be trained in how to mount Botany specimens to paper. Training period varies, but averages 20 hours (or 6 service days of 3 hours each day). If you are volunteering for college credit or similar program, please know the training period is included in the count of your service hours – simply include that information on your application.
Days/Times Volunteers Needed:
• Minimum length of service: 6 months
• Hours and Frequency: 3 hour shift at least once per week
• Days/Times Needed: Monday or Tuesday, Mornings, 9-12noon. Once training completed, hours may be more flexible.
Service Groups & One-time Volunteer Opportunities
To inquire about opportunities for service groups (example – Key Club), please contact the Volunteer Department via email or call us at (808) 848-4171. Please also check our upcoming Special Events and Exhibits at the museum for opportunities you may be interested in volunteering for.