The Visitor Experience Assistant – Greeter position covers a wide range of job duties that, together, facilitate and enhance our customers’ experience at Bishop Museum. This facilitation takes many forms, from enhancing the customer’s interactions by greeting, managing our traveling exhibits, facilitating traffic flow, handling basic cashiering duties, assisting groups and answering the main information line of the museum as visitors plan their visit. The Visitor Experience team’s overall goal is to enhance the visitor experience; primary responsibilities may be adjusted day of to assist with visitor flow and museum needs.
Duties and responsibilities
Special Exhibits, Greeting & Line Management:
- Staff any designated exhibit positions that require staff coverage at Bishop Museum. Greet visitors as they enter the exhibit and explain nature of exhibit. Monitor lines of visitors waiting for exhibits, operate equipment as needed, and enforce any age or height requirements.
- Ensure the exhibit is open in the morning; do a check to make sure all equipment is functional and all supplies are in place. Staff, monitor and resupply the exhibit during the day. Reorganize and resupply the exhibit at end of day.
- Monitor volunteers in the exhibit: make sure they have adequate breaks, assist them with content, and update those volunteers on how to assist visitors in the exhibit space.
- Using a cash box/iPad/tablet sell tickets to exhibits or programs and museum special events. Count out the balance for cash box and ensure starter fund is correct. Take credit card payments using portable device (card reader/iPad).
- Submit balanced drawer/cash box at the end of each shift, file report of attendance and tickets sold when necessary. Verify balance with supervisor and report any discrepancies to supervisor immediately.
- Greet visitors as they enter the museum and for special events; explain programs, admission prices, hours of event; direct visitors to the right entry point.
- Greet trolley as it arrives at Bishop Museum. Provide information, welcome trolley riders and invite them to visit Bishop Museum.
- Arrive at planetarium 10 minutes before the show to ensure that waiting line forms properly and that visitors in line understand the content of upcoming program.
- Assist with ticket box admissions particularly on high volume days and for membership/advanced sales check in.Secondary
Reception & Reservations:
- Serve as the public’s first point of contact when they call Bishop Museum or email Visitor Experience. Provide assistance in the form of information, responding to visitor feedback and complaints, and direction specific staff members when needed.
- Answering multiple phone lines and assess needs of caller.
- Routing calls/emails to appropriate employees and staff throughout museum. Maintain an awareness of “who does what” and where to send calls/emails on such topics as membership, collections, donation, collection access, cultural and scientific inquiries, etc.
- Taking and relaying messages when employees aren’t available, in situation where leaving a voice mail does not suffice.
- Provide information to callers regarding Bishop Museum’s hours, admission prices, exhibit schedules, programs, and other information. Stay familiar with Museum’s permanent and temporary exhibits, regular daily program schedule, special events, special promotions and offerings.
- Attend staff meetings and serve as ‘day of’ informational contact person for any programing or issues that come up with tours during the day. Report on daily operations, groups or programming to management and appropriate staff as needed.
- Take bookings via phone, email and website for Bishop Museum tours and other programs; explain programs to customers, book events, follow up on any special situation or details.
- Assist with greeting groups and group reservations.
- Monitor and enforce the museum’s policies including:
- Visitors are required to purchase museum tickets
- No food or drink is allowed in exhibit spaces
- Clients allowed to smoke in designated smoking areas only
- Alcohol, when allowed, must stay within the designated event area
- Monitor facility rental events at the museum as needed. Remain onsite till the take down of the event is finished. Inspect rental space at end of event to ensure that the space has been cleaned up properly, and that there has been no damage to the museum’s facilities.
- Adhere to customer service policies and maintain a pleasant demeanor when interacting with the public even in stressful conditions.
- Attend department and organization wide trainings.
- High school degree required; college degree preferred.
- Ability to read/write/speak and communicate clearly in English in person and via phone and email.
- Ability to understand, retain, and effectively communicate information about the Museum’s history, grounds, exhibits, merchandise, events, and policies to team members and visiting guests in a polite and professional manner with the “aloha spirit.”
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, multi-task and prioritize workload with thorough completion in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate an outgoing and friendly personality.
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic by taking the initiative to identify departmental needs and assisting with or taking ownership, correcting or implementing steps to remedy or improve the work environment, process, Guest experience, etc.
- Must be fully computer literate, with demonstrated ability to set up sound systems, connect lap tops to LCD projectors, and troubleshoot problems.
- Flexibility in working hours, weekend availability is essential
- Professional business like appearance
- Good Attendance
Evening work and weekend work is required. Positions may be required to work outdoors in the elements and at times in a bright/dark environment. Employee will be working in busy, sometimes noisy exhibit halls. On feet for 3-4 hours at a time. Regular walking duties, crossing campus on regular basis. Must be able to remain polite and professional when faced with long lines and high visitor demand.
Ability to work in low lit areas and to stand and walk for an extended period of time.
Hours: Part-Time Casual, some evening and weekends required
Salary: $12.08 an hour
Deadline to apply: Application will remain open until position is filled.