Casual position (19 hours/week); position includes weekend work on a regular basis.
Assists as needed in a wide range of visitor experience roles at the museum, including:
- Special Exhibits Guide
- Receptionist on Museum’s main phone line
- Facility rental assistant
- Cashiering for Planetarium and special programs
- Greeting/line management
- Presenter for public and school children, as needed
- Working special events as a greeter and customer assistant
The specific assignments will vary based on each individual staff member and the specific needs of the museum.
Education and Experience
- High school degree required; college degree preferred.
- Ability to read/write/speak and communicate clearly in English.
- Experience in organizing programs and events (concert production and promotion, special event production and promotion, education event creation and promotion are all valued experiences for position).
- Knowledge of Hawai‘i business field, concert field, entertainment field preferred.
Skills & Requirements
- Ability to effectively communicate information about the Museum’s history, grounds, exhibits, merchandise, events, and policies to team members and visiting Guests in a polite and professional manner with the “aloha spirit” under stressful conditions.
- Ability to work with minimum amount of supervision.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, multi-task and prioritize workload with thorough completion in a timely manner.
- Must be fully computer literate, with demonstrated ability to set up sound systems, connect lap tops to LCD projectors, and troubleshoot problems.
- Demonstrate an outgoing and friendly personality.
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic by taking the initiative to identify departmental needs and assisting with or taking ownership, correcting or implementing steps to remedy or improve the work environment, process, Guest experience, etc.
- Professional appearance
- Valid Hawaii Driver License
- Ability to lift and move chairs (5 lbs each) and to move tables (40 lbs each) for event setup and takedown
Compensation: $11.00 – $12.00/hour
Hours: Casual; Occasional nights and weekends
Bishop Museum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to affirmative action and workforce diversity.
It is our policy to consider all qualified applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, or the presence of a non-job related medical condition or disability.
In compliance with federal law and as a condition of employment, all employees must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.