The Collections Technician is responsible for assisting the Collections Manager in the care and maintenance of collections within the division or department, and their associated records; assists with supervision of volunteer activities; carries out activities associated with collection use to provide access and copy service.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the staff and public in safe collections access and responds to inquiries to provide accurate and appropriate information.
- Assists with the planning, arrangement, and maintenance of storage systems and appropriately secures the collection to ensure the physical welfare of the collections and associated records.
- Works with collections staff to develop and maintain retrieval systems to enhance access to and use of the collections, and associated information.
- Participates in the identification, recording, and organization of the collections according to departmental and disciplinary standards to enhance access and retrieval of materials for study and exhibition.
- Assists with the processing of collections in accordance with Museum and department policies and procedures, and federal and state law.
- May supervise the work of interns and/or volunteers on specific projects.
- Assists the Operations Coordinator with processing internal and external copy-work orders.
- Performs other duties, as assigned, to accomplish the goals of the Museum.
- B.A. or B.S. preferred, although students completing an undergraduate degree in a related field will be considered.
- 1-2 years prior experience working with collections preferred.
- Hawaiian language proficiency preferred.
- Ability to communicate clearly in writing and verbally.
- Computer-literate, ability to use/learn various computer applications.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently.
- Ability to maintain composure when working under time constraints and to meet deadlines.
- Flexibility in working hours, as weekend work is required.
- Professional business-like appearance.
- Good attendance.
Direct Reports None.
Working Conditions Ability to work on Saturdays required.
Physical Requirements Occasionally required to stand for extended periods of time, climb stairs, lift heavy objects, and do repetitive tasks with few breaks.
Hours: Full-Time Salary; some evening and weekends required
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Deadline to apply: Application will remain open until position is filled.