Evening Planetarium Show
1st & 3rd Saturday evenings of each month
8 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Adult $10.00* (ages 13 and up)
- Youth $7.00* (ages 4-12)
- Members $5.00* (all ages excluding children 3 years and under who are free)*
* EventBrite online ticketing fee not included
Stars & Guitars (60 min)
Explore the wonders of the Hawaiian night sky while listening to a live classical guitar performance. Formerly known as Sky This Month, this evening program is presented by Planetarium Director Mike Shanahan and pairs musical interludes with an intriguing overview of the stars above us. The completely-renovated J. Watumull Planetarium provides “the best of both worlds” with our hybrid planetarium system, combining a new star machine with immersive full dome video. Our state-of-the-art Chronos II star projector, with its 7,000 pin-point stars and its brilliant planets, recreates the night sky with unparalleled accuracy and beauty. The immersive Digistar full-dome video system will take you through the rings of Saturn or into the heart of the Orion Nebula. In the first part of Stars & Guitars we’ll use the Chronos II star machine explore the current night sky using a star map for Hawaii’s latitude (provided to all audience members as part of the show). We’ll also talk about upcoming astronomical events for the month. For the last part of the show we’ll use our immersive Digistar video system to take you from the Hawaiian Islands to the depths of space.
After the program ends at 9 p.m., if the skies are clear, we will go to the viewing deck above the planetarium to find constellations and planets in the real sky. Also, weather permitting, we will go to the Bishop Museum observatory next door and peer at objects in the night sky with our telescope, which has a 12.5 inch diameter mirror. Please note that both the observatory and viewing deck experiences depend on the skies being at least somewhat clear.
- This is a different show from our daily “Sky Tonight” shows, which do not require reservations. Click here to see a schedule of our daily planetarium programs.
- Show length is 1 hour.
- There is no late seating. Please arrive by 7:45 p.m.
- We have no restriction on children of any age, but do ask parents to consider whether their child can sit through an hour-long planetarium program. If you do bring a young child, please be considerate of others and exit the theater if they are crying or restless.
- We keep the planetarium fairly cool due to the needs of our star system, so it is a good idea to bring a light sweater.
For additional information about this planetarium program, please call (808) 847-8251.