Present and teach science, STEM and culturally integrated education programs to both school groups, sleepovers and general public at Bishop Museum. Work with science education team in developing new programs and refining existing programs. Work with Science Education team in developing new programs/refining existing programs as well as in managing Science Education docent program. Work with the Education team in implementing federal, state and locally funded projects and initiatives, as well as assisting with seeking education grants. Serve as science content resource for the Education Department in conjunction with other educators. Lead educator for the Science Adventure Center (SAC). Serve as content and program leader for SAC Education programming and associated exhibits. This includes K-12 School programs, interpretive box activities, public ‘Meet me at the Hotspot Lava Melt’ program and contact for SAC volunteers and docents. Serve as support to Digital Producer in managing the Bishop Museum Education Online Learning Center.
BA or Bachelor of Science required; Degree in Education, in a science field, or other relevant area preferred
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Must enjoy working with school children and with general public.
- Experience in public speaking/performance and excellent presentation skills required.
- Proven experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of educational programs and presentation
- Program delivery experience in formal (classroom) or informal (museum/aquarium/zoo/etc) settings highly desired. Classroom teaching experience, especially recent experience in the classroom, is valuable.
- Strong team member skills necessary.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects and maintain composure under pressure.
- Must have strong writing skills; experience in writing grants is highly desired. Must have strong organizational skills, be flexible, patient, and diplomatic.
- Familiarity with media presentation applications desired Strong technical skills (computer programming etc.) preferred.
- Experience with both PC and Mac platforms desirable.
- Professional, business-like appearance
- Good attendance
- Flexibility in schedule to meet deadlines
- Must be able to work evening and weekend assignments as needed.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs and push 40 pounds.
- Valid Hawaii driver’s license required.
Salary: $32,000 – $37,000
Deadline to apply: Application will remain posted until the position is filled.